Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Time Goes By

Man, I need Blogger to send me a reminder that a week has gone by. I keep forgetting to update! That's just because I'm having a life.

So I started reading The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks.

I heart Brent Weeks with all types of glomps and squees.

I'm fairly certain that I can say that I love Brent Weeks' action scenes in this series (The Way of Shadows at least, I'll get back to you on the other two when I'm finished). He has a clear cut and simple style, but his use of description is like finding a sweet plum in a rice cake: surprising and satisfying.

There were actually parts when I literally stopped reading and thought: "Wow, what a great way of saying that." or "That's a beautiful description." But at the same time, I wasn't feeling like I was being drown in eight syllable words and grotesque verbosity. I love when a book can be conversational and simply written but intelligent and cavalier at the same time.

In addition to that, his main plot line is unique and dark. The life of a street rat turned assassin. I loved Azoth from the mud in his face to his vibrant denial of wanting to 'fuck' Elene. And of course, like every good novelist learning her craft, I've gotten some great ideas from reading as well.

After the Will of the Fallen series is published, I'm going to try for the Blood Heritage chronicles. Blood Heritage is something I've been working on for...ten years? Obviously, it will need a major overhaul, but Brent Weeks has inspired me to take a darker turn with Gwyn, the main character of the first trilogy.

You may be thinking darkness is nothing new since the Will of the Fallen series is fairly dark. But, Amaya is a character that has a brilliant way of turning things in her favor (IMHO) and I want Gwyn to get down and dirty with life.

So, while the Muse has got me, I've been working on the Blood Heritage chronicles in the free time I have between edits to That Which Lies in Darkness. That Which Lies in Darkness is coming along slowly but surely. I have two more people doing final reads. So far I've gotten some outstanding feedback in both the approval area and the tiny-nitty-gritty-perfecting-details area. I'm hoping that my readers will be done by the end of the month and I'll try sending some queries out. :)

Wish me luck and go read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks!

-A.L.

No comments:

Post a Comment